We’re already at week 2 of the Spring 2021 One Room Challenge! We have been busy painting and planning out projects for this room, and I’m so excited to share what we’ve been working on so far!
If you’re new here, check out last week’s post to see the nursery mood board and theme inspiration!
Project To-Do List
Last week I mentioned that we’re not doing too much to alter the space, other than some cosmetic additions and of course, lots of fun decor! There are a few specific projects we’ll be focusing on to really transform the space, and I can’t wait to get started on them!
Paint the room:This is one of the only rooms left in our home that still has the builder’s beige paint. We’ll be painting the entire room + closet Ultra White by Valspar.
- Install a custom closet: The closet space in this room is quite small, and currently just has a basic builder-grade shelf in it that doesn’t provide too many options for cute baby storage! We are going to install an Ikea closet system, but also customize it to add even more usable storage.
- Wallpaper Feature Wall: I can’t even wait to get started on this part!! I’m partnering with Decor Imprime, and they are making my wallpaper dreams come true with this floral sage vinyl wall mural. The wall we’re installing this on is in pretty close proximity to the closet, so we’re likely going to start the installation after the closet is done, so that we don’t somehow ruin the wallpaper!
- Marketplace Ikea Dresser Revamp: A lot of the nurseries I had pinned had the Ikea Hemnes dresser, and I’ve heard such great things about the size and quality, so I was happy that I could hunt one down on FBMP! It’s not in great condition, so I need to fill a lot of marks and imperfections and probably put a fresh coat of white paint on it. I’m not doing a full hack, because I like the simplicity of it, but I am adding a couple of small features to really tie it into the space!
- Book and Toy Storage: Again, it’s not a huge room, so we’re trying to optimize the space we have, and will install some ikea bookshelves and hopefully figure out some additional toy storage.
- Figure out Window Covering options: This may or may not happen by the time this project finishes – who knows, with lockdown! But we will be needing blackout blinds or shades and I’m hesitant to buy them online, so we’ll see if we can make this happen!
- Assemble furniture: We have cardboard boxes piling up, which means lots of things to assemble!
- Source and install lighting: I haven’t been able to pick a budget friendly light fixture yet, so we’re on the lookout for one! It would be great if we could thrift a vintage-looking one, so I’ve been watching out on Facebook marketplace! Anything to replace the current builder-grade boob light will work for me!!
- Wall Decor/Gallery Wall: I want to do some fun wall decor on the wall opposite to the wallpaper feature wall, so we’ll be looking for a fun mirror, and some cute prints and frames for a little gallery
- Add finishing decor pieces: We have all the larger furniture picked out, but we’re still sourcing other decor pieces, like a rug, lamp, and of course any other cute cute baby things we can find!
Progress So far
The painting is finished and the room is looking so much brighter! Painting the closet was actually a lot harder than I thought, and I was definitely feeling quite sore the next day! I’m really glad we’re not doing a huge project for this ORC, because I’m realizing that I definitely can’t do as much right now, and I require so many more breaks!
We’re also starting to receive a lot of the products we have ordered so far, which was a main worry going into this with Ontario’s lockdown – but things are going well so far! I threw together this little flatlay with some of the patterns, textures and colours we’re hoping to use in the space
I’m hoping to start small and refinish the dresser next, just while we finish our other office/murphy bed project! And once that’s finished, we’re going to work on installing the closet and wallpaper!